Do you thrive in the pursuit of ensuring excellence in GIS design and data management? SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking a GIS Specialist (HR Title = Assistant Staff Geospatial Scientist) for one of our Arizona and Nevada offices (e.g., Las Vegas, Reno, Phoenix, Flagstaff, Tucson) or qualified individuals can be work remotely with Arizona or Nevada. The position reports into the Geospatial Sciences Team Lead, and will support our natural and cultural resources and planning programs across our five-office region. In addition, this position may include collaboration and support from other SWCA GIS groups. This fast-paced job requires the ability to multitask while maintaining technical precision and working well both on your own and with others.
This is a hourly, full-time, regular (with benefits) position with the potential to be worked remotely for the right candidate.
Our Vision (the North Star): Help drive SWCA to be the best workplace and industry leader in sustainability, bringing sound science and creative solutions to global environmental challenges while maintaining a dedication to employee-ownership.
Core Values: We are #OneSWCA and collaborate across all our offices, programs, and disciplines. We are #AlwaysLearning, we #NeverSettle, and we #GiveBack. We are 100% employee-owned, and we build our success together. It is imperative for the successful candidate to fit SWCA's unique culture. Do you appreciate sustainability and environmental awareness? Is giving back to your community a priority? SWCA is a team of scientists, planners, technical experts, and corporate services professionals that are committed to our culture.
What you will accomplish
- Support GIS workload with the team to ensure that productivity goals are met and that projects are delivered on time and on budget
- Maintain a collaborative work environment between project managers and GIS specialists
- Help ensure overall quality of work is consistent with SWCA's standards and practices alongside other GIS team members
- Act as a technical and analytical lead within the GIS group for providing GIS solutions
- Use ESRI ArcGIS Desktop/ArcGIS Pro for editing data, analysis and making maps, including the use of geoprocessing tools, symbolizing features, importing/exporting a wide range of data and file types, and producing report quality and field maps in a reasonable amount of time
- Data management and support for a variety of handheld GPS units primarily using Field Maps and Survey 123
- Develop Web Maps/Apps for use on ArcGIS Online (AGOL) in conjunction with Field Maps and Survey 123
- Create complex final map products using ArcGIS Desktop/Pro to show data representations such as basic (roads, streams,buildings, etc.), complex (buffers, overlays, merges, viewsheds, spatial joins and relates, etc.), and analytical (raster math, spatial analyses, models, multi-variate statistics, multi-dimensional data arrays, etc.)
- Help design, create, maintain, and QA/QC geospatial databases using ArcGIS Desktop/Pro, Microsoft Access, and peripheral software
- Build tools and/or script programs to help in the automation of deliverables and the integration of spatial data with other programmable applications.
- Create documentation on processes for future use as well a present GIS related subject matter to groups
Experience and qualifications for success
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in GIS (= geospatial science), Geography, Cartography, Archaeology, Biology, Environmental Science or related field with an emphasis in GIS (or GIS certificate)
- At least one year (1) of professional experience outside of schooling
- Strong understanding of topological relationships, troubleshooting complex data sets, and applying creative solutions to problems.
- Demonstrated ability of data transfer, data analysis, data mining, and data inventory using software applications (e.g., Windows Explorer, Excel, Access, ESRI ArcGIS).
- Demonstrated knowledge of cartography and computer mapping including design principles and understanding map creation procedures in ArcGIS.
- General understanding of basic statistics, and geometric math computations (e.g., summary, distributions, frequency, min/max, range, angles, distance, slope, degrees, area).
- Demonstrated experience with GPS technology, field data collection techniques, data integration to a GIS, and troubleshooting of equipment and digital files.
- Demonstrated ability to apply spatial and 3D analyses, and raster math within ArcGIS while maintaining data integrity.
- Prior work in natural or cultural resources management, remote sensing, and/or water resources, and prior experience working with federal land agencies such as the USFS, NPS, BLM, BOR, USGS, etc.
- Ability to produce presentations, and/or written protocol of methods for reports or within metadata to replicate GIS-related analyses or modeling techniques applied on project.
- Prior knowledge and experience with Enterprise geodatabases, creating database schemas, domains, ArcGIS Enterprise/Portal/Online web applications, network analysis, and/or application development.
- Working knowledge of ESRI AGOL, Field Maps, and Survey 123.
- Strong communication skills with a desire to contribute to a team effort when tasked to completing larger tasks.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full-spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges in all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
An employee in this position can expect a salary of $22.58/hour to $28.88/hour. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses. Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA’s Total Rewards package, which includes a competitive Benefits package, forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate culture, award-winning career development, and more.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.