Tierra Right of Way Services, Ltd. (Tierra), is seeking temporary field technicians for survey and excavation projects. Crew members perform duties associated with archaeological survey and the excavation of archaeological sites. May also be responsible for monitoring at construction sites.
A crew member works on projects which may last a short period of time or a longer period of time, from just a couple of days to several months. Working hours may vary from day to day and week to week and overtime may or may not be available.
Essential Functions and General Responsibilities:
- Takes detailed field notes, draws sketch maps, excavates archaeological features, bags artifacts and records provenience of the finds during surveys, monitoring and excavations
- Navigates and records data with a Garmin, Trimble and computer tablet
- Uses a Brunton compass and USGS topographic maps
- Maintains tools and equipment
- Takes photographs with a camera or cell phone
- Walks survey transects on survey crew
- Excavates various types of archaeological features
- Performs other related responsibilities as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact and collaborate with other project staff
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality
- Ability to work as a team player
- Ability to work independently, if necessary
- Attention to organization, detail and accuracy
- Ability to maintain regular attendance and be punctual
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work
- Ability to understand and follow direction from the Crew Chief and Field Director
Mental and Physical Requirements
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Crew Member must be able to understand direction and adhere to established procedures, understand, remember and apply instructions and information, understand, remember and communicate routine information, be able to complete routine forms using existing form letters and conduct routine communication.
The Crew Member must be able to lift and carry up to 30 pounds on a frequent basis, carry a day pack weighing 20 pounds, climb in and out of trenches or excavation units using ramps and ladders on a frequent basis and move self in different positions to accomplish tasks.
This position requires frequent overnight travel and extended stays. Some projects require camping in remote environments.
This position requires work in remote areas and frequent exposure to outdoor elements, wildlife, rough terrain, and extreme temperatures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology, Archaeology or related field
- Valid driver’s license
Tierra is an Equal Opportunity Employer.