Archaeology Crew Chief - Job Description
We are currently seeking resumes from qualified Archaeology Crew Chiefs for our Phoenix, Arizona office. The role will be to assist in completion of archaeological projects (survey, monitoring, testing, data recovery) for AZTEC's Cultural Resource Group.
• Perform archaeological research and conduct site file searches at federal, state, tribal, and private repositories
• Assist with all types of archaeological investigations
• Adhere to deadlines
• Assist crew members with use of proper field methods and completing field forms based on information provided in work plan and/or field manual
• Prepare or assist in preparation of technical reports
• Evaluate and make recommendations regarding ARHP/NRHP eligibility of and project effects to, cultural resources
• Assess significance and identify appropriate National Register criteria of eligibility by applying aspects of integrity
• Draft consultation letters
• Assist with preparation of research designs and work plans
• Assist with lab work
• Communicate effectively and work closely with fellow employees
• Perform travel that may include overnight stays for an extended period
Archaeology Crew Chief - Required Skills:
• BA or BS in anthropology, archaeology, or closely related field
• Minimum of 5 years experience in CRM; minimum of 2 years experience as crew chief
• Understanding of Southwest prehistory and/or history, archaeological method and theory
• Experience conducting and assisting with all phases of cultural resource investigations
• Experience using GPS, GIS, Tablet
• Ability to generate and organize adequate field records
• Ability to perform fieldwork in adverse conditions (rugged terrain, remote locations, hot and cold temperatures, arid environments, dense vegetation) and carry up to 25 pounds of equipment
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability and willingness to travel
• Good driving record
• Understanding of applicable federal and state Cultural Resource Management/Historic Preservation laws (Section 106 of NHPA, AAA, and SHPA) preferred
• Experience drafting maps and figures in ArcMap/ArcGIS Desktop 10 preferred
• Artifact analysis preferred
• Understanding of prehistoric cultures of Arizona preferred
• Professional experience in the Southwest preferred
Working Conditions and Environment:
Will need the ability to establish rapport quickly with others working on the same project, and be able to promote a positive team environment. A working knowledge of dealing with a diverse population while using tact, diplomacy, and respect.
AZTEC offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, life insurance, short and long-term disability, flexible spending accounts, Paid-time-Off, and a 401(k)/Profit Sharing program.
AZTEC Engineering Group, Inc. (AZTEC) is headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, and provides diversified technical and consulting services to clients in the United States. AZTEC has offices in California, Colorado, Indiana, Nevada, and Texas. AZTEC is part of the TYPSA Group, an international consulting engineering firm with over 2,600 employees and more than 50 offices worldwide providing multidisciplinary consulting services in the fields of civil engineering, architecture and environment.
AZTEC has a diverse culture that focuses on providing rich opportunities for its employees.
AZTEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to affirmative action planning and encourages diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran or marital status.
Please apply online at www.aztec.us/career.
Contact Person: April Romero – Human Resources Manager