Archaeology Crew Chief- Job Description
We are currently seeking resumes from qualified Archaeology Crew Chiefs for our Phoenix, Arizona office. The role will be to assist with 3+ month data recovery project within Hohokam village site in south Phoenix; opportunity to transition to permanent, full-time employment with AZTEC's rapidly growing Cultural Resource Group.
- Perform archaeological research and conduct site file searches at federal, state, tribal, and private repositories
- Assist with archaeological investigations
- Maintain field logs
- Photograph features
- Assist crew members with use of proper field methods and completing field forms based on information provided in work plan and/or field manual
- Assist in preparation of technical reports
- Field documentation of archaeological material
- Assess significance and identify appropriate National Register criteria of eligibility by applying aspects of integrity
- Assist with lab work
- Communicate effectively and work closely with fellow employees
- Perform travel that may include overnight stays for an extended period
Archaeology Crew Chief- Required Skills:
- BA or BS in Anthropology, Archaeology, or closely related field
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in data recovery excavation; minimum of 1 year of experience as crew chief
- Understanding of Hohokam archaeology and archaeological method and theory
- Ability to generate, organize, and log adequate field records
- Ability to perform fieldwork in adverse conditions (rugged terrain, remote locations, hot and cold temperatures, arid environments, dense vegetation) and carry up to 25 pounds of equipment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability and willingness to travel outside Metro Phoenix
- Good driving record, reliable transportation
- Advanced degree (MA/MS/Phd) preferred
- Experience performing survey/testing/data recovery/monitoring preferred
- Experience using GPS and tablet preferred
- Understanding of applicable federal and state Cultural Resource Management/Historic Preservation laws (Section 106 of NHPA, AAA, and SHPA) preferred
- Experience drafting maps and figures in ArcMap/ArcGIS Desktop 10 preferred
- Artifact analysis preferred
- Understanding of Southwestern prehistory and history preferred
- Professional experience in the Southwest preferred
Working Conditions and Environment:
Will need the ability to establish rapport quickly with others working on the same project, and be able to promote a positive team environment. A working knowledge of dealing with a diverse population while using tact, diplomacy, and respect.
AZTEC offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, life insurance, short and long-term disability, flexible spending accounts, Paid-time-Off, and a 401(k)/Profit Sharing program.
AZTEC Engineering Group, Inc. (AZTEC) is headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, and provides diversified technical and consulting services to clients in the United States. AZTEC has offices in California, Colorado, Indiana, and Nevada. AZTEC is part of the TYPSA Group, an international consulting engineering firm with over 2,600 employees and more than 50 offices worldwide providing multidisciplinary consulting services in the fields of civil engineering, architecture and environment. AZTEC has a diverse culture that focuses on providing rich opportunities for its employees.
AZTEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to affirmative action planning and encourages diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Please apply online at www.aztec.us/career.