North Wind Resource Consulting is looking to hire an archaeological field director out of the Phoenix office. The Archaeologist Field Director is a mid-level position that will be providing in-field analysis and scientific studies for projects located within the greater Phoenix area, and across Arizona. The Field Director should have a minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience with Class III archaeological surveys, monitoring, or testing projects in the Southwest. Experience will include higher skill level with artifact identification, in-field documentation, and data collection. The position requires the applicant to possess site recording knowledge and proficiencies for accurately recording historic and prehistoric sites according to land agency specifications. Additional aspects of the Archaeologist Field Director position include:
- Leading field surveys for simple to complex projects with accurate information and data collection.
- Organizes fieldwork mobilization/demobilization.
- Works well with project members and maintains a high level of communication regarding status of work product.
- Assisting and mentoring crews of Archaeological Technicians in survey strategies, organization, artifact identification, data collection, following field protocols and safety practices.
- Requires participation in project kickoff meetings and project updates.
- Applicants will possess an understanding of following project budgets and the ability to communicate efficiencies and overages.
- Possesses 5-years of experience in Southwest archaeology and is familiar with agency’s site recording standards for Arizona.
- Lead activities including (a) collecting data using GPS units (i.e. Trimble, Garmin, and/or IOS Field Collector), (b) taking photographs of project area, project activities, and (c) artifact/feature identification.
- Possesses strong technical writing skills demonstrated in completion of Class I and Class III reports.
- Ensures that projects are completed on schedule and within budget.
- Driving daily to project areas in Arizona using North Wind vehicle.
- Maintaining both North Wind and project-specific safety awareness and practices at all times.
- Regular communication with North Wind Project Manager, field technicians and Line Supervisor.
- Participation in North Wind training.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience.
- Possesses a strong work ethic with a developed and mature understanding of professionalism.
- Possesses strong technical writing skills demonstrated through completion of Class I and Class III reports.
- Willingness and desire to learn as well as ask questions.
- Ability to follow written and oral instruction.
- Displays excellent communication and interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
- Ability and willingness to travel to various field locations, walk and conduct fieldwork for long hours, across rugged terrain.
- Ability to carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Willingness to work irregular hours (e.g., early mornings, late nights, weekends).
- Willingness and ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic setting, and to consistently enact high performance standards and a strong work and team ethic in support of the goals and objectives of North Wind’s commitment to gathering high quality in-field data.
- Experience in and willingness to work in inclement conditions (i.e. very hot, windy, sunny without shade).
- Ability and willingness to travel to project area.
- Must pass pre-employment background check.
- Must pass pre-employment drug screening.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with all necessary endorsements.
- Must be able, by reason of experience, training, or both, to operate a 4-wheel high clearance North Wind vehicle (i.e. truck and/or jeep) to complete the work task(s).
- Applicants are required to have REAL ID ACT compliant documentation at time of hire and nothing on record that would prohibit you from employment on federal government contracts.
This position requires long periods of walking, climbing, standing, stooping, kneeling, and bending for periods of up to 10-12 hours per day. Frequent carrying of a backpack with equipment of up to 40 lbs. across uneven terrain.
Work will be performed strictly outdoors in harsh and rapidly changing environments to include all types of weather conditions to include extreme heat or cold environments, traverse uneven terrain.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline +1.208.528.8718 or use the Request for Reasonable Accommodation form to get assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion, or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Proof of citizenship will be required as a condition of employment.