At Tierra Right of Way Services, the Principal Investigator (PI) is responsible for the implementation of the research aspects of CRM, while Project Managers (PM) handle the business aspects of CRM projects. We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced person who can successfully handle the duties of both positions. The primary job responsibility is to design and oversee research aspects of cultural resource projects in Arizona. Additional job responsibilities include marketing to existing and new clients, responding to RFPs and RFQs, preparing scopes of work, cost proposals, and research designs, implementing all aspects of fieldwork and overseeing the work of employees assigned to projects, producing technical reports, and providing effective coordination with clients, agencies, SHPO, and tribes. The PI/PM works closely with the other PIs and PMs, Field Directors, GIS specialists, and the Environmental Planning and Cultural Resources Division Director; therefore, the successful candidate must work well in a team environment. The successful candidate must also have the ability to multi-task, including managing multiple small Class I, Class III, and monitoring projects simultaneously. The successful candidate must be currently permitted, or can be, with Arizona State Museum (ASM), Arizona Bureau of Land Management, and the Forest Service; holding permits in surrounding states is also desirable. A small to moderate amount of travel may be required as needed; a current valid Driver’s license is required. The successful candidate must be a United States citizen or hold a federally approved work visa; Arizona law requires verification.
• Managing projects for the Tucson and Phoenix offices, and possibly the New Mexico offices.
• Working closely with existing and new clients.
• Preparing cultural resource components of proposals.
• Writing research designs and overseeing research aspects of excavations and large-
scale survey projects.
• Directing large excavation projects.
• Preparing scopes of work and budgets.
• Working with the PIs and PMs in developing research goals for the Division.
• Coordinating with the Field Directors to ensure that research goals are met.
• Writing synthetic and interpretive chapters of reports.
• Working with government agencies, ASM, et al. to ensure compliance with laws, regulations, and protocols.
• Training personnel in field methods, analytical techniques, database management,
report writing, research techniques, and archaeological theory and methods.
• Content editing of all drafts and final reports.
• Attending conferences and professional meetings; encouraging personnel to present papers at these conferences.
• Analytic skills are a plus, including historic, shell, and ceramic.
This is a full-time permanent position with benefits, including medical, 401k, and holidays.
Salary is competitive, and is based on education and experience. The successful candidate can be based out of our corporate headquarters in Tucson or our Phoenix branch office, although occasional travel between the two offices and to meet clients is required.
• A minimum of 10 years experience in the cultural, heritage, and/or environmental compliance industry, at least 5 years of which has been in Arizona, is required. Experience should include directing large-scale data recovery excavations.
• Knowledge of NEPA, NAGPRA, Section 106, Section 110, and associated federal and Arizona state laws and regulations is essential.
• Experience working with the various municipal, county, state, and federal agencies, tribes, and SHPO in Arizona, or similar experience in the greater Southwest.
• Candidates should also have established relationships in the archaeological and environmental communities in Arizona and surrounding states.
• Graduate degree in Anthropology, Archaeology, Heritage Management, or related field required.
Tierra has been conducting cultural resource projects since 1993 and environmental compliance since 2000. We are committed to meeting our customer’s land service needs in the highest quality manner, delivered with the highest ethical and professional standards.
Please email vitae/resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.